In the next part of Karen’s series she suggests some considerations for how you approach your career future… That said these questions can equally apply to your life… Get busy with them and see how happy you really are and whether you need a change in your life…
Over to Karen…
“If you are contemplating your job / career and the future, you might want to take stock and to ask yourself some of the following questions:
- Why do you work? – for money / financial necessity? Status? Personal fulfilment? To fill the time? To socialise? Because others expect or need you to?
- What about the financial side of things? How much do you need to bring in to get by?
- Are you content to ‘get by’ financially or do you want / need more than that? (would you choose to have a bit less money but more work / life balance, for example?)
- What do you like about your job? What motivates to go in to work each day? (hopefully there is at least one thing here, if not that tells you a lot….)
- What don’t you like about your job?
- How would you feel if you were still doing the same job in one / three/ five years’ time?
- What can you do to change your job / work to address the things you don’t like? (if you don’t try, you shouldn’t just moan about it…..)
- If you can’t change things, what will you do?
- What happens if you leave your current job? What else is out there for you to do?
- What is your plan B if things don’t go as you hoped?